Call for Submissions: HOLD FAST
View the downloadable large print PDF version of this call here.
Eastern Edge is seeking artists to present their work as part of HOLD FAST 2022. Each presenting artist will give an artist talk, share skills in an artist-led workshop, and present their work in the downtown Art Crawl.
HOLD FAST is a four-day celebration of performance art and community engagement in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador. Now celebrating our 23rd year, HOLD FAST, is St. John’s only festival dedicated to contemporary performance and interactive art practices and is the longest-running festival in the province. HOLD FAST delivers accessible, meaningful and critically-relevant programming across an array of media including: performances, interactive installations, film screenings, artist talks, workshops, dance, drag, and free community events for people of all ages.
Individuals, groups, curators, and collectives in all visual arts media may apply.
Selected artists will be provided with the following fees:
- Festival Performance Fee (Art Crawl): $431
- Workshop Fee: $328
- Artist Talk Fee: $328
- Travel Stipend (for artists outside of St. John’s metro area): up to $600 (with receipts)
The Art Crawl is an evening of contemporary art installations and performances that transforms downtown St. John’s into a hub of artistic activity. For the Art Crawl, artists are encouraged to propose a variety of contemporary art actions, which may include:
- Performance art (site-specific or staged in public parks, storefronts, local galleries, etc.)
- Local community collaboration (participatory artworks or interventions with public space)
- Video/sound/off-site installation and sculpture
- Digital media projects
PROPOSALS SHOULD INCLUDE:
- CV/Resume or other document telling us who you are. Please include contact information and your pronouns. (Max 2 pages)
- Short artist bio (50-100 words for promotional use)
- Artist Statement or Curatorial Statement (Max 1 page)
- Art Crawl Project description (include equipment list and special technical needs) (Max 2 pages)
- Art Crawl Project overview (50 words summarizing the core concept of the project for promotional use)
- Workshop proposal (Up to 3 hours per workshop, including material and technical needs) (Max. 1 page)
- Images (10 max) with image list or link to video clips/audio files with accompanying descriptions.
*All submissions must be sent as email attachments (no zip files), and must not exceed 25 MB. Please send images as JPGs and text files as PDFs. You may also provide a video submission instead of written documents as .mp4s or links to Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
We are dedicated to an equitable selection process in our programming and encourage applications from contemporary artists and curators from IBPOC, queer, and feminist perspectives. If you would like to self-identify as representing one of these perspectives, you may do so in your application. However, this is not a requirement.
You can learn more about the accessibility of Eastern Edge here: https://easternedge.ca/about/accessibility/
Submission Deadline: June 8th, 11:59 PM
Please send your submissions to email@example.com with the subject line: “HOLD FAST Submissions 2022”.
For HOLD FAST 2022 updates, follow our website and the Facebook page linked below!
http://easternedge.ca || www.facebook.com/holdfastfestival/ || Instagram: @holdfastfestival