Call for Main Gallery Submissions
Holding fast to the North Atlantic horizon, Eastern Edge is uniquely positioned to bridge local and international art communities. Eastern Edge is located at 72 Harbour Drive in downtown St. John’s, Ktaqmkuk (Newfoundland and Labrador). Our island location is a haven for independent artistic activity; engaging artists who want to be challenged to create in an environment where pragmatic, uncompromising dedication to personal vision is celebrated. As Newfoundland & Labrador’s oldest artist-run-centre, we are committed to supporting emerging creative practices, challenging the status quo, and building active audiences.
Eastern Edge is accepting proposals for Main Gallery exhibitions for 2025/2026. We are dedicated to cultural diversity in our programming, and encourage applications from artists, art collectives, and curators of diverse communities and backgrounds. We accept applications from local, provincial, national, and international artists for the Main Gallery. We strive to support the needs of our successful applicants, please do make us aware of any flexibility or supports you need that are not covered here.
Deadline to submit: October 30, 2023, 11:59pm NDT (Newfoundland Daylight Time)
What We Provide:
- Eastern Edge pays artist fees in accordance with the current CARFAC Fee Schedule under Category 1. Artists exhibiting in the Main Gallery will be paid an artist fee of $2,204.
- Exhibiting artists will be offered the opportunity to give an artist talk or workshop for an additional fee of $335.
- We offer a modest travel budget of up to $600, and a return shipping budget of up to $350.
- We encourage selected artists and curators to apply for additional travel and project funding if necessary. If required, the gallery will be pleased to assist with letters of support.
- We commission an essay/written piece to accompany the exhibition.
- We have the exhibition professionally documented.
We accept submissions via Google form, or by email.
All submissions must include, in the following order:
- Name, Pronouns, Address, Phone Number
- If you would like to self-identify, please do so (Queer, IBPOC, those with other varying social, cultural, or neurodiverse perspectives)
- Artist Bio (approx. 150 words)
- Artist Statement outlining an overview of your practice/interests (max. 500 words)
- Exhibition Proposal (max. 500 words)
- Summary outlining a brief, condensed version of your proposal (2 sentences, max. 50 words)
- Current CV (max. 2 pages)
- Outline of technical equipment and support needed
- Images (max. 10) including installation images and individual works, or link to video clips/audio files with accompanying descriptions, and accompanying Image List
- Please note if this is a submission for a curated or collaborative show with two or more artists, please submit an Artist statement and CV for each artist and a curatorial statement. You may submit 5 images for each artist.
Submissions can either be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or completed through the Google form. For email submissions, please indicate “Main Gallery Submission” in the subject line. Please put all your written information into a single PDF document that can be attached to the email. Images should be attached as JPEGs. All files must not exceed 25 MB. If you decide to fill out the Google form, you do not need to send any part of your submission via email.
Please ensure that all the required info listed above is included in your application, and that word counts are adhered to. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
We are happy to accept exhibition proposals in alternative formats including audio or video submissions, or a Zoom interview which will be recorded for the jury. All submission formats will require you to email us a summary of your proposal (max. 100 words), images, and links to audio/video work. If submitting a video or audio file, please ensure it is no longer than 10 minutes and describes, in the following order:
- your proposed exhibition
- your artistic practice/interests
- your art/gallery experience
- outline of technical equipment and support needed
If you would like to schedule a Zoom interview to submit your proposal, please email email@example.com to speak to one of our staff members!
Note: Artists may apply to multiple opportunities available at Eastern Edge, each opportunity requires a separate application. There is no guarantee that your application will be selected for multiple opportunities.
Eastern Edge staff members have no say in the Programming Committee’s final selection of successful applicants.
If you need any assistance or have questions regarding your application, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Eastern Edge Floor Plan
Eastern Edge Main Gallery 360-degree view
View some examples of past Main Gallery exhibitions!