Call for: EE Studios artists in residence
Holding fast to the North Atlantic horizon, Eastern Edge is uniquely positioned to bridge local and international art communities. Eastern Edge is located at 72 Harbour Drive in downtown St. John’s, Ktaqmkuk (Newfoundland and Labrador). Our island location is a haven for independent artistic activity; engaging artists who want to be challenged to create in an environment where pragmatic, uncompromising dedication to personal vision is celebrated. As Newfoundland & Labrador’s oldest artist-run-centre, we are committed to supporting emerging creative practices, challenging the status quo, and building active audiences.
Eastern Edge is accepting proposals for self-directed residencies for 2024. We are dedicated to cultural diversity in our programming, and encourage applications from artists, art collectives, and curators of diverse communities and backgrounds. We strive to support the needs of our successful applicants, please do make us aware of any flexibility or supports you need that are not covered here.
This year’s submission deadline is: October 31, 2022
To apply via google form, please click here.
AVAILABLE RESIDENCY OPPORTUNITIES (residencies will last between 4-8 weeks, depending on the artist’s availability – dates subject to change):
- Winter 2024
- Spring 2024
- Summer 2024
- Fall 2024
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
- 24 hr access to the open plan studio space for the duration of the residency.
- Please note up to three artists and a curator or writer may be working in the studio at any one time. All residents are provided with their own designated area.
- An open working space where artists can engage with other visiting and local artists.
- Residency fee of $1,874
- Travel stipend $300
- A speaker/workshop fee of $335
- Note: Eastern Edge pays fees in accordance with CARFAC Category 1, as a minimum, in addition to travel fees. Artist fees will be amended to reflect the current year upon payment.
- Open to Local, National, and International artists and curators at any stage in their career.
- Collaborations are welcome, please provide statements for each individual within the collaboration.
- Resident artists are expected to actively create within the studio space for at least 20 hours a week.
- Be willing to hold open studio hours with the public for a minimum of one day a week.
- Be approachable, engaging, and excited to participate in opportunities that may arise in the run up to and duration of the residency.
- Be respectful of the physical space, the other artists sharing the studio with you, the staff working in the studio, and of the local community.
Submissions must include:
- A residency proposal outlining your intended area of research/experimentation/creation (max. 500 words or filmed proposal)
- Artist statement outlining an overview of your practice/interests (max. 500 words or filmed statement)
- Current CV (max 2 pages)
- Up to 10 images including installation images and individual works, or link to video clips/audio files with accompanying descriptions, (do not exceed 10 min)
- Outline of technical equipment and support needed.
- Date availability – please outline between 4 – 8 weeks of availability in your preferred slot or indicate if you have no scheduling preferences
We are also happy to accept exhibition proposals in alternative formats including video and audio. All submission formats will require you to email us your CV, images, and links to audio/video work. If submitting a video or audio file, please ensure it is no longer than 10 minutes and describes, in the following order:
- your proposed area of research/experimentation/creation for the residency period
- your artistic practice/interests
- outline of technical equipment and support needed
- available dates
Submissions can either be sent via email to email@example.com, or completed via the google form. For email submissions, please indicate “EE Studios Residency Submission” in the subject line. Email attachments must not be in zip files; images should be JPGs and text files should be PDFs, and they must not exceed 25 MB. If you decide to fill out the google form, you do not need to send any part of your submission via email.
Note: Artists may apply to multiple opportunities available at Eastern Edge, each opportunity requires a separate application. There is no guarantee that your application will be selected for multiple opportunities.
If you need any assistance or have questions regarding your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org!
View some examples of past residencies!