Open Call for Self Directed Residency Submissions
Open Call for Self Directed Residency Submissions from artists, collaboratives and curators.
Holding fast to the North Atlantic horizon, Eastern Edge is uniquely positioned to bridge Canadian, Indigenous, and international art communities. We are a hub for community-driven contemporary art, a home for independent creative research, and a haven for underrepresented and marginalized voices. As Newfoundland & Labrador’s oldest artist-run gallery, we are committed to supporting emerging creative practices, challenging the status quo, and building engaged audiences.
Eastern Edge is accepting proposals for self-directed residencies from 2020 onwards. We are dedicated to cultural diversity in our programming, and encourage applications from artists, art collectives, and curators of diverse communities and backgrounds.
This year’s submission deadline is Saturday, November 30th, 2019.
AVAILABLE RESIDENCY OPPORTUNITIES (residencies will last between 4 – 8 weeks, depending on the artists availability – dates subject to change):
- Spring 2020- April 6- May 22
- Summer 2020 – June 1- July 24
- Fall 2020 – October 13- December 11
- Winter 2021
- Spring 2021
- Summer 2021
- Fall 2021
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
- 24 hr access to the open plan studio space for the duration of the residency.
- Please note up to three artists and a curator/ writer may be working in the studio at any one time. All residents are provided with their own designated area.
- An open working space where artists can engage with other visiting and local artists.
- CARFAC residency fees of $1,730, a travel stipend $300
- A speaker/ workshop fee of $310.
- Open to Local, National and International Artists and curators at any stage in their career.
- Collaborations are welcome, please provide statements for each individual within the collaboration.
- Please see our accessibility information. We endeavour to support the needs of our successful applicants, please do make us aware of any flexibility or support you need that is not covered here.
- Resident artists are expected to actively create within the studio space for at least 20 hours a week.
- Be willing to hold open studio hours with the public for a minimum of one day a week.
- Be approachable, engaging, and excited to participate in opportunities that may arise in the run up to and duration of the residency.
Submissions must include:
- A residency proposal outlining your intended area of research/experimentation/creation (max. 500 words or filmed proposal)
- Artist statement outlining an overview of your practice/interests (max. 500 words or filmed statement)
- Current CV (max 2 pages)
- Up to 10 images including installation images and individual works, or link to video clips/audio files with accompanying descriptions, (do not exceed 10 min)
- Outline of technical equipment and support needed.
- Date availability – please outline between 4 – 8 weeks of availability in your preferred slot or indicate if you have no scheduling preferences
**All submissions must be sent as email attachments (no zip files), and must not exceed 25 MB. Please do not send additional documents. Please send images as JPGs and text files as PDFs.
Artists may apply to multiple opportunities available at Eastern Edge Gallery. Please title your applications appropriately for each submission.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, and indicate “EEG Studios Residency 2020” in your subject line.