Call for Submissions: Community Connections Public Artwork Project
Eastern Edge is seeking proposals for new public artworks in any medium (drawing, painting, collage, textiles, digital art, printmaking, low relief sculpture, interdisciplinary projects, etc.), to be displayed in an indoor location in St. John’s, NL, as a part of our Come Home Year project Community Connections.
Community Connections will draw from the Come Home Year 2022 Initiative’s goals of showcasing and celebrating local culture and exploring themes of community, connection, and home. The artists that will be chosen for this project will be those whose proposals reflect Eastern Edge’s mandate, and show the deepest engagement with the idea of home, what it means to be a part of a community, and the importance of connection and empathy.
Eastern Edge will select four artists whose work best speaks to these themes. Finished artworks will be displayed in an accessible indoor location in St. John’s, NL, and will be unveiled during Eastern Edge’s summer art festival HOLD FAST (date tbd, August 2022).
- Dimensions: roughly 4×6 feet
- Medium: Works in any medium will be accepted, as long as the proposed artwork can be safely installed in a public place. We encourage submissions from artists working in drawing, painting, collage, textiles, digital art, printmaking, low relief sculpture, and interdisciplinary projects.
- Subject Matter: selected works will be displayed in a high-traffic public location. We ask that subject matter be appropriate for all ages (no inappropriate language, violence, etc.)
- If you are concerned that your idea/material choices do not meet the suggested guidelines please email email@example.com and we can talk about it.
- Must be a current resident of Newfoundland and Labrador.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
- An artist fee of $4000 (inclusive of any taxes, permits, etc).
- Materials and shipping Fee up to $500 (with receipts).
- Additional shipping costs can be negotiated for artists sending work from Labrador.
Submissions must include:
- A proposal outlining your intention for the artwork and how you will execute this plan, including a plan for how the work can be installed safely in a public place (max. 500 words or filmed proposal).
- Concept sketches or designs to fit parameters of the mural (roughly 4’ x 6’, but can be any shape i.e. does not need to be a 4’x6’ rectangle).
- Paragraph outlining an overview of your practice/interests (max. 500 words or filmed statement)
- Current CV/resume/list of previous experience as an artist (max 2 pages)
- Up to 10 images of previous works. You may include a link to video clips with accompanying descriptions. (max. 10 min)
- Brief outline of materials and equipment needed.
- Confirmation that you are available and able to complete the artwork by August 1, 2022. (Artists will hear back about acceptance by June 1st, and so will have two months to complete the work.)
*All submissions must be sent as email attachments (no zip files), and must not exceed 25 MB. Please do not send additional documents. Please send images as JPGs and text files as PDFs.
Eastern Edge is dedicated to an equitable selection process and promoting cultural diversity in our programming. We encourage applications from contemporary artists, collectives, and curators from BIPOC, queer, feminist, and other diverse communities. If you would like to self-identify as representing one of these perspectives, you may do so in your application. However, this is not a requirement. We also aim to be as accessible as possible, and will do our best to accommodate your individual needs.
Deadline to submit: May 20th, 11:59pm NL time.
Please send queries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, and indicate “Community Connections 2022” in your subject line.
This project is being generously funded by Come Home Year 2022.