Deadline Friday – HOLD FAST 2016 Call for Submissions
HOLD FAST 2016
Call for Submissions
Contemporary Arts Festival
August 18-21 2016
St. John’s, NL
Deadline for submissions: APRIL 1st 2016 (midnight)
Eastern Edge Gallery seeks local, national, and international artists to present their work as part of HOLD FAST Contemporary Arts Festival. Each festival artist will give an artist talk, share skills in an artist-led workshop and present their work in the downtown Art Crawl.
About the festival:
HOLD FAST is a four-day celebration of contemporary art practice held in August in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador. Now going into its 17th year, HOLD FAST is the province’s only festival dedicated to contemporary art. HOLD FAST regular events are free and open to all.
Previously known as the Art Marathon Festival, HOLD FAST delivers accessible, meaningful and critically-relevant contemporary art programming across an array of media including: installation, performance, screenings, artist talks, dance, community events and artist-led workshops for people of all ages.
Individuals, groups and collectives in all visual arts media may apply.
The Art Crawl is the premiere event of HOLD FAST: one night of contemporary art installations and performances that transforms downtown St. John’s into a hub of artistic activity. For the Art Crawl, artists are encouraged to propose a variety of contemporary art actions, which may include:
• Performance art (site-specific or staged in public parks, storefronts, local galleries, etc.)
• Local community collaboration (participatory art works or interventions with public space)
• Video/sound/off-site installation and sculpture
Professional fees for exhibition, artist talk, and workshop will be paid when applicable. Eastern Edge Gallery covers travel expenses up to $300 and provides billeted accommodations for exhibiting artists.
Proposals should include:
• CV/contact info (1-2 pages)
• Short artist bio (50-100 words for promotional use)
• Artist/curatorial statement (up to 1 page)
• Art Crawl project description (include equipment list and special technical needs) (1-2 pages)
• Art Crawl Project overview (50 words summarizing core concept of project description for promotional use)
• 1-4 HR Workshop proposal (include material and technical needs) (up to 1 page)
• Image list (1 page)
Support materials in the following formats as appropriate to the proposal:
• Up to 10 images in Jpeg format 72 dpi, dimensions of 1024 x 768 pixels (approx. 500 KB), RGB or SRGB colour mode only
• Video (max. 5 minutes) (If too large to attach in email please provide link)
• Audio (max 5 minutes)
• All submissions must be sent as email attachments (no zip files), and must not exceed 25 MB. – Please do not send additional documents. Please send images as JPGs and text files as PDFs.
Artist project proposals should be sent by April 1st, 2016 (midnight) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
HOLD FAST accepts digital applications only.
HOLD FAST is a maelstrom of creative energy | HOLD FAST is the anchor and the storm
Logo design by Amery Sandford, concept by Penelope Smart