Thank you to everyone who applied! The committee will be meeting in the coming weeks, and you will hear from us at the end of May.
Artist in Residence Opportunities 2019/2020
HOLD FAST Festival Artists Summer 2019
Eastern Edge is nestled between the epic landscape of the Avalon peninsula and the empty horizon of the Atlantic ocean with every vantage looking towards the rest of the world. As close to international art communities as we are to national, since 1984 EEG has bridged the Atlantic divide. Our island location is a haven for independent artistic activity; drawing artists who want to be challenged to create in an environment where pragmatic, uncompromising dedication to personal vision is celebrated. Committed to creative research, generation and presentation of contemporary art, we are witnessing what can happen at the intersection of rural and urban practices. As the provinces only artist run gallery we are a hub of community driven creation; the primary location to discover new emerging art; a place for experimental presentation to engaged audiences.
This year, we are pleased to announce the launch of Eastern Edge Artist in Residence Program. Established in response to an increased demand for residencies, we have secured the 1,520 square foot unit adjacent to our main gallery, to host up to 12 resident artists/curators in the 2019/20 year. This call is for the inaugural round of resident artists to the space.
Creating these residencies in EEG studios allows us to offer a more immersive experience to visiting artists, offering them extended time to engage with our community, and giving us the opportunity to more deeply invest in their creative endeavours.
We are delighted to accept residency proposals from artists, artist collectives, and curators across all media for our brand new EEG Studios residency space. We are dedicated to cultural diversity in our programming and encourage applications from contemporary artists and curators of diverse communities and backgrounds..
The submission deadline is April 18th, 2019.
AVAILABLE RESIDENCY OPPORTUNITIES (residencies will last between 4 – 8 weeks, depending on the artists availability – dates subject to change):
Summer Self-Directed Residency: June 11 – August 3, 2019
Three spaces available.
Fall Self-Directed Residency: October 15 – December 13, 2019
Two spaces available.
Winter Self-Directed Residency: January 7 – February 28, 2020
Two spaces available.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
- 24 hr access to the open plan studio space for the duration of the residency.
- Please note up to four artists and a curator/ writer may be working in the space at any one time. All residents are provided with their own designated area.
- An open working space where artists can engage with other visiting and local artists.
- Eastern Edge will pay an artist fee of $1,730, and supply a travel budget of $300. (**Additional funding is pending, so these amounts could increase.)
- A speaker/ workshop fee of $310.
- We encourage selected artists to apply for travel and project funding. If required, the gallery can assist with additional letters of support.
- Open to Local, National and International Artists and curators at any stage in their career.
- Collaborations are welcome, please provide statements for each individual within the collaboration.
- Please see our accessibility information. We endeavour to support the needs of our successful applicants, please do make us aware of any flexibility or support you need that is not covered here.
- Resident artists are expected to actively create within the studio space for at least 20 hours a week.
- Be willing to hold open studio hours with the public for a minimum of one day a week.
- Be approachable, engaging, and excited to participate in opportunities that may arise in the run up to and duration of the residency.
Submissions must include:
- A residency proposal outlining your intended area of research/experimentation/creation (max. 500 words or filmed proposal)
- Artist statement outlining an overview of your practice/interests (max. 500 words or filmed statement)
- Current CV (max 2 pages)
- Up to 10 images including installation images and individual works, or link to video clips/audio files with accompanying descriptions
- Outline of technical equipment and support needed.
- Date availability – please outline between 4 – 8 weeks of availability in your preferred slot.
**All submissions must be sent as email attachments (no zip files), and must not exceed 25 MB. Please do not send additional documents. Please send images as JPGs and text files as PDFs.
Artists may apply to multiple opportunities available at Eastern Edge Gallery. Please title your applications appropriately for each submission.
Please send applications to email@example.com, and indicate “EEG Studios Residency 2019” in your subject line.