Open Call for Self Directed Residency Submissions
Holding fast to the North Atlantic horizon, Eastern Edge is uniquely positioned to bridge local and international art communities. Our island location is a haven for independent artistic activity; drawing artists who want to be challenged to create in an environment where pragmatic, uncompromising dedication to personal vision is celebrated. As Newfoundland & Labrador’s oldest artist-run-centre, we are committed to supporting emerging creative practices, challenging the status quo, and building engaged audiences.
Eastern Edge is accepting proposals for Main Gallery exhibitions and self-directed residencies for 2023-2024. We are dedicated to cultural diversity in our programming, and encourage applications from artists, art collectives, and curators of diverse communities and backgrounds. We endeavour to support the needs of our successful applicants, please do make us aware of any flexibility or supports you need that are not covered here.
This year’s submission deadline is: October 31, 2021
AVAILABLE RESIDENCY OPPORTUNITIES (residencies will last between 4 – 8 weeks, depending on the artists availability – dates subject to change):
- Spring 2023
- Summer 2023
- Fall 2023
- Winter 2024
- Spring 2024
- Summer 2024
- Fall 2024
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
- 24 hr access to the open plan studio space for the duration of the residency.
- Please note up to three artists and a curator or writer may be working in the studio at any one time. All residents are provided with their own designated area.
- An open working space where artists can engage with other visiting and local artists.
- Residency fee of $1,801
- Travel stipend $300
- A speaker/workshop fee of $322.
- Open to Local, National and International Artists and curators at any stage in their career.
- Collaborations are welcome, please provide statements for each individual within the collaboration.
- Resident artists are expected to actively create within the studio space for at least 20 hours a week.
- Be willing to hold open studio hours with the public for a minimum of one day a week.
- Be approachable, engaging, and excited to participate in opportunities that may arise in the run up to and duration of the residency.
Submissions must include:
- A residency proposal outlining your intended area of research/experimentation/creation (max. 500 words or filmed proposal)
- Artist statement outlining an overview of your practice/interests (max. 500 words or filmed statement)
- Current CV (max 2 pages)
- Up to 10 images including installation images and individual works, or link to video clips/audio files with accompanying descriptions, (do not exceed 10 min)
- Outline of technical equipment and support needed.
- Date availability – please outline between 4 – 8 weeks of availability in your preferred slot or indicate if you have no scheduling preferences
We are also happy to accept exhibition proposals in alternative formats including video and audio. All submission formats will require you to email us your CV, images, and links to audio/video work. If submitting a video or audio file, please ensure it is no longer than 10 minutes and describes, in the following order:
- your proposed area of research/experimentation/creation for the residency period
- your artistic practice/interests
- outline of technical equipment and support needed
- available dates
**All submissions must be sent as email attachments (no zip files), and must not exceed 25 MB. Please do not send additional documents. Please send images as JPGs and text files as PDFs.
Artists may apply to multiple opportunities available at Eastern Edge. Please title your applications appropriately for each submission.
Please send applications to email@example.com, and indicate “EE Studios Residency Submission” in your subject line.